Imagine you wake up and go check your e-mail in the morning only to find that your computer has stopped working. Your hard drive has failed; you don’t have any backup system in place. All of your personal files, from payment sheets to translation memories, are gone forever. This scenario plays out all too often, so why not take a few simple steps to protect yourself and prevent this from ever happening to you? This one-hour session is dedicated to explaining proper disaster recovery techniques, including:
• effective ways to create a full system image that can be restored in minutes, bringing everything back and quickly up and running again;
• techniques for creating full and incremental data backups (tips and tricks every translator needs to know about);
• taming your machine: proactive methods for protecting your machines from sudden failures;
• how to use external media to save and restore your data;
• building portable versions of your registered software to use them anywhere when needed;
• the benefits and the hazards of cloud-based backups;
• and more discussions if time allows.
Sameh Ragab is an EN 15038 lead auditor, EN 15038 certified translation service provider, CAT tools and terminology management expert, UN and World Bank registered translation vendor, DTP specialist, and certified localizer. A renowned international speaker and trainer focusing on the technical side of translation, Sam has given workshops and conference talks in nine countries. He has over 24 years of expertise in the translation and localization industry and has set benchmarks for quality work, with a focus on Arabic and Middle Eastern translation, localization and DTP services. Moreover, Sam has an outstanding history in training translators and localizers to excel by using the latest CAT and terminology management tools. His hobbies include singing, fishing, snorkeling, and swimming.